Start with Habitat
The first step to protecting pollinators is providing abundant sources of pollen and nectar throughout the growing season. We ask farmers to dedicate a minimum 5% of their land to habitat. Habitat can be a mixture of permanent features, such as hedgerows, and temporary resources, including flowering cover crops.
Provide Nest Sites
Like us, pollinators need a place to call home. Provide plants with pithy-stems for cavity-nesting bees, undisturbed ground and hedgerows that provide cover for soil-nesting bees, and incorporate butterfly host plants into habitat areas so butterflies have a place to lay their eggs.
Protect Pollinators from Pesticides
Prevention, mitigation and protection are all part of the Bee Better strategy for minimizing the exposure of pollinators to pesticides. A comprehensive pest management strategy includes monitoring, using non-chemical practices as a first line of defense, targeting pesticide use, and limiting or eliminating the use of high risk pesticides.
Manage Your Managed Bumble Bees
Managed bumble bees can transfer diseases to wild bumble bees. If using managed bumble bees, only use native species that have been reared within their range, and restrict managed bumble bee use to sealed, controlled environments.
Farms are inspected by Oregon Tilth, a leading third-party organic certifier, to ensure all conditions required by the Program Standards are being met.
2. If your farm does not meet the standards, add habitat or alter your pesticide or bumble bee management practices. You can work with the Xerces Society to help your farm meet the Standards.
3. Outline how your farm meets the standards in your farm-specific Bee Better Certified Plan (BBCP). Compile additional Required Records to demonstrate compliance (e.g., pesticide use records).
4. Submit your BBCP, Required Records, and an Application to Oregon Tilth.
5. Oregon Tilth will contact you to set up a farm inspection.
6. Oregon Tilth will issue a certification decision based on the farm inspection and review of your BBCP.
7. License the Bee Better Certified Seal to display on your farm, farmstand, or products.